How to get a Green Card through marriage?

Do you want to live in the United States of America? If so, then you need to obtain a green card. You can live, work, and study in America, if you have the U.S.A Green Card. There are many ways through which you can get a green card. But, a green card marriage is the simplest way to settle in America. Any individual who marries an American citizen is eligible for a U.S.A Green Card.

In order to obtain a green card though marriage for your foreign spouse, you need to file an I-130 petition for alien relative with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).You need to file an I-130 petition for alien relative with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form is to establish the relationship between you and your foreign spouse. Along with the petition, you need to submit documents like:

a)    Copy of your marriage certificate
b)    If you or your spouse were previously married, then you should submit copies of documents to show that all prior marriages were legally terminated.
c)    Passport-style color photo of your spouse and yourself meeting the meeting the technical and compositional specifications stated by the USCIS.
d)    Duly filled and signed Biographic Information Form G-325A, for you and your foreign spouse.
e)    In addition, you also need to submit one or more documents that bona fides your marriage, like documentation showing joint ownership or property.

Apart from the above mentioned documents, you must also submit Form I-485, a green card marriage application for adjustment of status (AOS).

General instructions to be followed while filing in the petition and AOS application for getting a green card though marriage:

?    Use black ink while filling the form. You can also type or print the form.
?    In case if you need extra space for completing the form you may attach the continuation sheet. Always indicate the item number, date, and sign on the extra sheets.
?    Give accurate answers and try to answer all questions.
?    Do not leave the space empty. Indicate ?N/A? if it?s not applicable for you or mark ?none? if the answer is nothing.

The USCIS has complete freedom to approve or reject your petition based on the evidence you have submitted. If your petition is approved, then you will be intimated, and the USCIS will forward the approved visa petition to the Department of State's National Visa Center. The Center will issue a visa number to the US embassy or consulate. As soon as, a visa number issues, you foreign spouse is eligible for an immigrant visa. Your spouse will be subjected to medical assessment before getting an immigrant visa. The Doctor, who examines your foreign spouse, will be chosen by the embassy officials, and your spouse must pay the medical fee along with the visa fee. The immigrant visa will not be issued, if your spouse has some transmissible diseases or serious mental disorder.

As soon as an immigrant visa is issued, the final step towards getting a green card through marriage is to change your spouse?s status to permanent residency. The USCIS will accept and process the I-485 form submitted along with the I-130 petition immediately after you get a visa number. There will be multiple screening of your application before they accept the adjustment of status application. If your AOS application is accepted, then the applicant is not allowed to leave the country till the application is accepted or rejected. If the application is approved, your foreign spouse gets the U.S.A green card.

If you want a step-by-step guidance for getting a green card through marriage, then log on to This site offers you eBooks to help you in the application process.

Hosted by Media3